Thursday, August 9, 2007
A few weeks ago, I discovered that there are tons of vintage children's sewing patterns on eBay. Yes, I know. Where have I been? Well, once I figured it out, I went a little crazy and bought a bunch.
I bought some single patterns and one large lot of several unknown patterns. When I sorted through the lot, I realized that I had one pattern which was nearly identical to another one purchased singly. They were different sizes, thank goodness, but the basic pattern was pretty much unchanged in the two versions.
I made one outfit from each pattern on Sunday. Both came with a pattern for bloomers that have elastic at the legs and waistband. The pattern(s) says to measure the child's waist and leg circumference and then add 2 inches to get the appropriate length of elastic. Since I have no child to measure yet, the final bloomer steps will have to be done later. This is a difficult thing. You want to do lots and lots of stuff to prepare for the coming of the kiddo, but certain things just cannot be done ahead of time.
The picture at the top of this post is of a size 1 outfit made from the Simplicity 5052 pattern, which was published in 1972. The bloomers will be much poofier and gathered once the elastic is inserted. For now, however, we must all just use our imagination to see the cute bubble bottom that will be. Look at the fabulous cross-over straps in the back.
This size 2 outfit was made from Simplicity 8537, which was published in 1978. Basically the same pattern, but with an optional scalloped hem.
I guess those peeps at Simplicity knew how to "leverage" well.